Safehold is committed to fostering an environment of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion throughout our company and within the communities we impact.
Recognizing that the path forward is complex, nuanced and long-term in nature – and informed by ongoing conversations with a range of stakeholders and Black employees – we are taking the following actions to focus Safehold’s efforts:
1. Juneteenth, this year and going forward, will be honored as a day of commemoration, action, reflection, and education: A dedicated day to CARE. All employees are encouraged to pause Safehold work for the day in order to:
· Commemorate the end of slavery in the United States
· Take Action in their communities
· Reflect on their role in creating real change for Black people
· Educate themselves about the Black American experience
2. Creation of the iStar Diversity Council – Our manager, iStar, will create a bottom-up Diversity Council by August 2020 to bring the voices and ideas of employees at all levels into the development of the company’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion strategy. The Diversity Council will solidify its strategy and goals by the end of October 2020, including setting a percentage of our total annual charitable contributions that will support organizations serving people of color.
3. Our Financial Commitment – We will be making meaningful contributions to organizations driving change for Black people in the United States. iStar has supported UNCF and The Boys and Girls Club over the past 10 years, but now employees will participate in identifying where this money goes. Also, we will support Black-owned businesses in our communities as we have in Asbury Park.
4. Double Match for Employee Donations – iStar is double matching employee donations throughout June and July 2020 to organizations that fight racial injustice and support equality.
5. Formal Training - We will use internal and external resources to provide direction, guidance, and training to address bias in the workplace, reduce conscious and unconscious microaggressions, and openly discuss race, and equity and advancement for Black employees. Our long-term strategy, training, and development will include all areas of diversity (including LGBTQ, women, Latinos, among others); however, we will build this platform in the near-term specifically to address the need for change for our Black team members. A new section has been added to our internal company website and will continuously evolve along with our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion program.
6. Accountability – Making real change at iStar and Safehold involves every employee, every day, consciously trying to create an inclusive workplace. To facilitate this change and to establish specific goals with accountability, Theresa Ulyatt, Senior Vice President, Head of Talent and Human Resources, will lead our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts. Theresa will also attend diversity officer training to provide her with the most current thinking and support. As needed, we will also bring in outside voices, training, and consultation to accelerate our progress in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Building a better society is work we must all embrace, and while the historty of progress is a long and often troubled one, we can and will help make this a moment where real change occurs.